Psychosocial problems of women with stress urinary incontinence

Grażyna Stadnicka 1, Celina Łepecka-Klusek 2, Anna Pilewska-Kozak 2, Grzegorz Jakiel 3
1 - Independent Practical Obstetric Skills Unit, Faculty of Health Sciences, Medical University of Lublin, Poland
2 - Chair and Department of Gynaecology and Gynaecological Endocrinology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Medical University of Lublin, Poland
3 - First Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical Centre for Postgraduate Education, Warsaw, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med
2015; 22 (3):
ICID: 1167723
Article type: Original article
 
 
Objective. The aim of the study was evaluation of the influence of stress urinary incontinence on women’s quality of life.
Material and method. The study covered 275 women between 30–65 years of age.
The study was conducted using the following tools: Gaudenz Questionnaire, King’s Health Questionnaire (KHQ), Female Sexual Function Index (FIFI) Questionnaire, and a questionnaire devised by the authors of the study.
Results. The study shows that the disease has a negative effect on evaluation of the quality of thee women’s lives. The symptoms of stress urinary incontinence had a significant influence on the feeling of emotional comfort, social and professional activity of the surveyed women – respectively p= 0.000; p=0.000; p=0.000. Nearly every third woman (28.7%) felt great mental discomfort related to the disease symptoms, 31.7% a considerable discomfort, 33.1% a moderate, and very few women (6.5 %) claimed that the disease had a minimal effect on their emotional state. About two-thirds of the surveyed women (68.7%) were sexually active, and the remaining 31.3% declared the lack of sexual intercourse.
Conclusions. The occurrence of stress urinary incontinence symptoms affects the quality of life of women, especially their mental state and interpersonal contacts. Most women with the symptoms of stress urinary incontinence fulfill their sexual needs; however, many of them do not feel complete satisfaction with their sex life.
DOI: 10.5604/12321966.1167723
PMID 26403124 - click here to show this article in PubMed
  FULL TEXT STATS

Recommend this article to:

Name:
E-mail:
From:
Language:


Related articles in IndexCopernicus™
     Quality of Life [49 related records]
     urinary incontinence [4 related records]
     sexual dysfunction [3 related records]



 

Related articles

S Sadegh, M Fathei,
The Effect of 8 Weeks of Aerobic Training on Adipo...
Background and Objectives: Middle aged is a sensitive period of life and paying attention to the issues and needs of this period is a social necessity. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of eight weeks aerobic training on levels of a...
ABSTRACT
D Hempel,  Politynska,
Psychological, physical, and social situation of p...
Purpose: To assess the physical and psychosocial situation and needs of Polish patients with Hodgkin lymphoma (HL), who had undergone radical chemoradiotherapy. Materials and methods: 50 Hodgkin lymphoma patients were asked to complete an institu...
ABSTRACT
, ,
IMPROVING QUALITY OF LIFE AT EDERLY PEOPLE, THROUG...
In light of permanent education, physical education and sports activities should be integrated throughout life. The objective of the research is to improve the quality of life of older people to the initiation of maintenance programs by simple method...
ABSTRACT